There are many reasons for tooth aching. Exposure of dentin tissue under the enamel, containing nerve endings and small ducts filled with fluid, leads to tooth sensitivity.
Consuming sweet, sour, spicy foods, cold and hot drinks affects the fluid in the dentin ducts, increasing tingling in the teeth.
Problems that can lead to sensitive teeth;
- Brushing teeth with a hard, violent, pressing and hard bristle toothbrush can erode tooth enamel, exposing dentine tissue, causing sensitivity. Improper brushing can also cause gingival shrinkage, which can lead to exposure of the tissue and tenderness. In such a situation; correct brush use should be recommended and after proper brushing teaching Fluorine should be applied or fillers should be used depending on the amount of tissue loss
- In cases where gingivitis is present; Changes in color (red), consistency (soft), contours, surface features are seen in the gums, bleeding occurs. If gingivitis is not treated, the supporting tissues (bone) of the tooth begin to be affected. Sensitivity occurs with the destruction of the fibers and bone around the tooth. In such a situation; the root surface, which we call curettage, should be cleaned.
- Healing and maturation of connective tissue is facilitated by curettage, and tight adaptation of the connective tissue to the root surface is provided. Surgical treatment may be required if the bone is severely lost in the advanced stages of gum disease.
- In cases related to trauma such as clenching and grinding; enamel tissue of the teeth can wear out and cause sensitivity. In such cases, night records are made. Night plates prevent tooth wear.
- Deep dentinal caries on the tooth can cause tooth sensitivity. In such a case, the caries on the tooth should be cleaned and filled. Fluoride should be applied to prevent dental caries, and fluoride toothpastes and mouthwashes should be recommended to the patient. If the bruise has advanced, treatment should be done.
- Depending on the foods taken (acid food and drink), the enamel layer may dissolve and sensitivity may occur. Attention should be paid to nutrition.